Hopefully you’re still counting your blessings and the many gifts you receive on a daily basis as we prepare to kiss 2017 goodbye and roll into a new year. Start 2018 off on the right foot by resolving to #dogoodthings and to make your little slice of the world a better place one act of kindness at a time. Commit to making a difference in South Walton County in 2018.
Make a Difference with the Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation
The Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation (DCWAF) is been rated among the ‘Top 10 Charity Wine Auction in the U.S.’ by Wine Spectator Magazine and has donated over $15 million helping more than 90,000 Northwest Florida youth in many capacities including domestic abuse, mental disabilities, homelessness, hunger, healthcare, foster care, youth development, substance abuse, and others.
DCWAF supports over a dozen area charities. Help by making a donation, by getting involved with DCWAF, or by making a commitment of time and effort to any one of these vital community charities.
Engage Children for a Better Tomorrow
Positive experiences inspire who children become.
- The Boys & Girls Club of the Emerald Coast focuses on creating safe, positive experiences for youth ages 5-18 that help them achieve their full potential.
- Youth Village provides educational and recreational services to high-risk youth ages 5-16 during non-school hours. They always need materials and volunteers for the after school program.
Feed Children with Food for Thought
Provide a Safe Haven for Youthful Victims of Abuse, Neglect, and Abandonment
While it’s hard to imagine someone causing harm to children, the reality is it happens every day in our community.
- Children in Crisis provides emergency shelter and homes for those in need to a safe haven.
- Emerald Coast Children’s Advocacy Center provides counseling and outreach services as well as other resources to youthful victims of physical and sexual abuse and drug endangerment.
- Shelter House of Northwest Florida also provides hotline services, outreach, counseling, sheltering and other services to domestic violence victims.
- Pathways for Change is a faith-based organization that helps to save people from destructive criminal behaviors and dangerous lifestyle habits through a variety of hands-on services.
- Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast lends a helping hand to impoverished or vulnerable persons in their hour of need.
Lend a Helping Hand to Families Needing a Place to Go
No child should grow up without a home or wondering if he or she will have shelter.
- Habitat for Humanity of Walton County, Florida builds and rehabilitates homes for community members. Volunteers work with partner families to create a place for them to grow stronger together and with the community.
- Opportunity Place provides mental and physical support to help homeless women and families become self-sufficient.
Support Children with Mental & Emotional Health Needs
Not all children suffer from difficulties inflicted by others; some children have mental health difficulties that merit outreach.
- The Arc of the Emerald Coast (Horizons) works with citizens of all ages dealing with cognitive, intellectual, developmental disabilities.
- The Emerald Coast Autism Center works to improve the lives of children with autism.
- Mental Health Association Okaloosa & Walton Counties is a United Way Agency that provides intervention, crisis intervention, and more to those in need of mental health services and recovery programs.
Each of these organizations thrives on donations of time, resources, and funds from the community. Resolve to make a difference in 2018 by getting involved and by doing good things.
New Year’s resolutions aren’t just about keeping your body and mind healthy; they’re also about keeping the community healthy. Join The Storyteller Agency in our efforts to #dogoodthings by making one of your resolutions a commitment to volunteering or to giving back through one of these amazing South Walton County organizations.