What do we mean when we say, “Stop marketing. Start storytelling?” After all, we are a marketing agency, right? So, why in the world would a marketing agency tell people to stop marketing? We actually hope that you are scratching your head in confusion right now because one of our main goals here at The Storyteller Agency is to get you to think outside of the box and look at marketing in a whole new way. Our motto is the backbone to our brand and we want to break it down and share with you the story of that motto so you can better understand our business and what we can do for you.
Why would we want you to stop marketing?
Well, the answer to this one is simple – we hate marketing. Yep, you read that right. That is one of the first things that we tell a potential client and we almost always get a funny look. (That is, until we further explain ourselves) Conventional marketing is boring, am I right? What is interesting about simply pushing a product or service to your audience? This way of marketing is becoming less successful because, simply put, your audience expects more from you. Your audience wants to feel something, and simply telling them that they should buy your product or enlist in your services is far too forgettable of a marketing tactic.
Why do we want you to start storytelling?
We are The Storyteller Agency and our business name alone often leaves people scratching their heads, wondering who we are. We love this because, again, what do you think people do when they are curious about something? That’s right – they ask. We have lost count of the people who have come into our office simply to ask us who we are and what we do. (Funny story - we even had someone call us once to ask if they could hire us for their child’s birthday party.) We love it because it gives us a chance to share our story and open minds to a way of marketing that many are unfamiliar with.
So, what is storytelling? Well, in the marketing world storytelling is used as a tool to make an emotional connection with your audience. Rather than simply pushing your product or service, storytelling allows your business to tell a story that relates to your brand as well as your audience.
· Every business has a story to tell and these stories can be told in a multitude of ways, which is one of things that makes storytelling so great.
· Storytelling easily speaks for itself, especially with video, and this Budweiser commercial is the perfect example of brand storytelling. Grab your tissues, folks.
· When you create an emotional experience for your audience, you also create an unforgettable connection to your brand.
What does this mean for your business?
Well, it means that it’s time for you to stop marketing and start storytelling! We often come across clients who feel like their business doesn’t really have a story to tell, and then once we start talking and asking all of the right questions, they are pleasantly enlightened to discover not only a story, but one that they are eager to start telling.
· Finding the story behind your brand is just the beginning of storytelling for your business. Inside of the story behind your brand, lies a multitude of stories within your brand that are relatable to your product/service, as well as to your audience.
· Storytelling has a multitude of outlets and we recommend using a mixture of all of them. Written content, videos and graphics are all great ways to incorporate storytelling into your marketing strategy, and it’s our job to not only help you find the perfect combination that works for your business, but also to provide the resources to tell those stories.
What’s your story?
Are the wheels of your brain spinning at high speeds, thinking of all of the different storytelling possibilities for your business? We hope so. The drive behind our desire to help businesses find their story is a selfless one. We want to be a part of changing the way the world views marketing, and we want to make more room for human connection and less room for surface-level promotion of products and services. We want to help you tell great stories. The end.
Are you ready to start telling your story? Reach out to us at The Storyteller Agency. Call us at 850.267.0931 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can provide you with creative content, video production and the marketing knowledge necessary to share your story with the world and reap the benefits. Tell great stories!