Social media has boomed into not only a cultural phenomenon, but an extremely valuable marketing tool that is used by millions of businesses worldwide. If you are creating content for your website and/or blog, be sure to distribute and promote it through social networks such as:
Promotion and distribution is a huge part of any content marketing strategy. The below statistics are taken from various studies and research that prove social networks are a massive marketing tool for any business. See for yourself, these are the Top 70 social media statistics you need to know right now!
- As the largest social network, Facebook has over 1.15 billion Facebook users.
- Over 1 million web pages are accessed using the “Login with Facebook” feature.
- 23% of Facebook users login at least 5 times per day.
- 47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases.
- 70% of marketers used Facebook to gain new customers.
- Facebook attracts roughly 7x the engagement that Twitter does, when looking at both smartphone and PC usage, in per-user terms.
- 16 million local business pages have been created as of May 2013 (100% increase from 8 million in June 2012).
- The social giant reported that as of May 2013, it generates 4.5 billion “likes” each day (67% percent increase from August 2012).
- There are over 1.01 billion active mobile users.
- Average user spends 20 minutes per visit on Facebook.
Twitter now has over 550 million registered users.
However, 391 million Twitter accounts have no followers and are relatively inactive.
34% of marketers use Twitter to successfully generate leads.
From 2012-2013, Twitter was the fastest growing network with a 44% growth.
215 million monthly active users.
53% of users who tweet at a brand expect a response within the hour.
That percentage increases to 72% for those with a complaint.
78% percent of all users access the network via mobile device.
That leaves only 36 million users that use Twitter on their desktop – per month.
46% of Twitter users post a tweet at least once a day.
- As one of the largest social channels, there are over 1.5 million active LinkedIn groups.
- 27% of LinkedIn users access the network through mobile.
- 3 million companies have set-up profiles specifically on LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn is used in 200 countries and territories.
- Speaking in 20 different languages.
- 40% of LinkedIn users check the network daily.
- Unlike Facebook, they usually only spend 17 minutes on the network each month.
- Only 4% of users post content they liked on the LinkedIn network.
- 25% of users still don’t know about the setting that allows them to hide their connections.
- “Who’s Viewed Your Profile”is the #1 feature for LinkedIn with 76% of respondents picking it as a favorite.
- There are now over 1 billion with Google+ enabled accounts.
- It has reached 359 million monthly active users.
- Google+ is growing at 33% per year.
- The 45 to 54 year old bracket increased its usage on Google+ by 56% since 2012.
- Google+ is the most male-oriented of the major social networks; 70% are male.
- The network is quickly generating 20 million unique monthly viewers.
- Average user spends 7 minutes on the site per month.
- 40% of marketers use Google+
- 70% of brands have an active presence on the network.
- Pinterest with 20 million active monthly users.
- More than 69% of users are female.
- With 92% of pins coming from females.
- Surprisingly, men have more followers per profile.
- Food is the top category on Pinterest with 57% engaging with food related content.
- 80% of all pins are re-pins and not original content.
- Garlic Cheese bread is the most re-pinned topic on Pinterest.
- 81% of U.S. online consumers say they trust information & advice on Pinterest.
- Users in the US account for 70% of all Pinterest profiles.
- 69% of online consumers who visit Pinterest have found an item they have purchased.
- Instagram with 150 million active monthly users.
- More than 16 billion photos have been uploaded to the network.
- An average user on Instagram has 40 photos on the profile.
- Every second, 8,000 photos or videos are liked.
- Over 5 million photos are posted to the network every day.
- Accumulates more than 1,000 comments every second.
- 68% of Instagram's users are women.
- 23% of teens consider Instagram their favorite social network.
- 75 million of them use the network each day.
- And spend 257 minutes on Instagram every month.
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month.
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that's almost an hour for every person on Earth.
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US.
- YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61 languages.
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network.
- We have more than a million advertisers using Google ad platforms, the majority of which are small businesses.
- Mobile makes up almost 40% of YouTube's global watch time.
- 4 billion videos are viewed every day on this giant network.
- 100 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute!
With all these amazing statistics, it’s easy to see why social media has become an absolute necessity for any business to promote and distribute their awesome content online. If you do not have a profile set up on the networks found above, you are behind the competition. Be sure to actively post quality content and promote it through the channels that are most used by your audience; if properly executed, this can mean a big increase in overall traffic, leads and sales for your business.
Brad Kuenn is a Content Writer, Editor and Strategist living in Nashville, Tennessee, and he provides research, content topics, writing, editing, and content development expertise to clients. He has a passion for writing as well as art, which shines through in his work. His creativity and attention to detail makes him a valuable asset for a wide range of clients. During his time off he enjoys spending time with his wife, family, and his two dogs Brutus and Kane.
Connect with Brad: Twitter LinkedIn Google+